Vice President Technology & Engineering
A Senior Management Leader with 18 years of experience in conceptualizing, architecting, and leading world class infrastructures. Successful leadership and management of critical and high revenue generating SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS environments involving a complex and diverse range of storage, security, operating systems, and networking technologies. Expertise in process improvement and agile software development life cycles. Highly focused in capacity planning, infrastructure design, architectural scalability, and datacenter management for Global Enterprises. Extremely analytical and data driven in executing on vision and direction for improving organizational health and establishing a cohesive team.
Areas of Expertise
|∞ DevOps and Release Lifecycle||∞ Team Building & Development||∞ Private/Public Cloud Expert|
|∞ Incubation to Production||∞ Cost Savings Analysis||∞ Enterprise Resource Planning|
|∞ Data Center Infrastructure||∞ Customer Success Focus||∞ Budget Forecasting|
|∞ Process and Efficiency Expert||∞ Open Source Evangelist||∞ Business Continuity Planning|
Senior Manager IT Architecture Network Services IBM Cloud Platform
IBM – Watson and Cloud Platform, Austin, TX
|June 2017 – Present|
- Manage Gateway Services development squad of 20 individuals, supporting of our virtual routing appliance and new gateway service offerings.
- Responsible for managing the design, architecture, and support models for new gateway offerings.
- Orchestrated evaluation of multi-vendor evaluation for routing appliance engine.
- Architected vendor release cycle to provide path for new OS releases for routing appliances.
- Directed EU, GDPR, and ITAR compliance across gateway services platform.
- Develop and execute staffing model to scale for new gateway service offerings.
- Developed and Supported $12MM+/yr ongoing gateway services for over 6k routing appliances deployed in IBM Cloud.
Director of Cloud Operations/Chief Delivery Architect – Delivery and Customer Success
IBM – GTS Cloud Brokerage Service, Austin, TX (formerly Gravitant)
|April 2013 –
- Oversee Technical and Customer Operations team of 53 individuals across 3 countries that are responsible for delivering our platform and supporting our customers.
- Director of DevOps and Systems Engineering, managing infrastructure and DevOps tool pipeline across AWS, Azure, and Softlayer.
- Responsible for developing and manage operational budgets.
- Successfully transitioned technology stack through security and compliance assessments to meet regulatory requirements in US and EU.
- Architect of SaaS infrastructure and deployment across 8 datacenters globally across AWS, Azure, Softlayer.
- Develop and execute organizational staffing model, to scale based on distributed workloads from customers.
Senior Manager Technical PMO / IT Architecture
HomeAway, Austin, TX
|October 2012 –
- Established the first IT Program Management Office at HomeAway.
- Directed key governance initiatives across the Global Technology team, supporting 750k+ vacation rental properties.
- Accountable for managing Capital and Expense Budget involving 4 datacenters and 22 offices spanning 8 countries
- Forecasted costs based on growth, strategic projects, and infrastructure consolidation.
- Oversaw the office infrastructure build-outs and remodels for 6 offices.
- Directed the procurement functions for all hardware and software assets, as well as costs for subscription and maintenance, including datacenters and all telecommunications.
Director of Online Operations
All Web Leads, Austin, TX
|December 2011 –
- Directed the operations engineering and infrastructure team, operating within AWS and multiple private hosting DCs, delivering 17MM+ unique visitors a month.
- Oversaw the infrastructure of 150+ servers designed to capture, qualify, and route consumer data, in order to maximize profit margins, generating $110M+ revenue per year.
- Lead initiative to attain 99.98% uptime and implement business continuity initiatives – including upgrading OLAP and ETL data warehouses.
- Responsible for maintaining all production and development systems; a mix of IIS, Apache, MySQL, and SQL Server.
Sr. Engineering Development Lead
Microsoft (Bing – Travel), Austin, TX
|May 2008 – December 2011|
- Directed the engineering and infrastructure operations for Bing Travel – Bing.com.
- Successfully scaled and supported over 20.5MM+ unique visitors.
- Supervised team of system engineers, datacenter managers, and vendors.
- Oversaw the architecture of 1,300 servers powering the web and business logic tiers, and Oracle/MySQL databases.
- Accountable for refactoring efforts to reduce COGS by improving server utilizations and improving reliability goals, meeting 99.999.
- Designed and supervised release management processes, improving developer efficiency and reducing time to mitigate and recovery events.
Director of Engineering Operations and Principal Infrastructure Architect
Farecast, Inc., Seattle, WA (acquired by Microsoft)
|November 2004 –
- Envisioned, prototyped, and scaled out the first airfare prediction website to provide traveling customers information on when to buy.
- Directed the infrastructure build-out fueling the processing of over 360 billion price observations.
- Executed on launching into full scale production datacenters our experimental pipelines and data mining operations.
- Architected and managed our compute grids aggregating over 40 TB of data.
- Oversaw logistics to stay within our $2.5M budget and 2 ½ year timeline.
- Engineered and outsourced all provisioned network connectivity requirements, both long haul DS3 circuits and dark fiber QMOE datacenter interconnects.
Washington Mutual Bank (Solutions Support), Seattle, WA
|July 2003 –
- Transfromed and led a newly formed eBusiness Support group – The Solutions Support Team
- Architected a managed service portfolio to our internal Business Solution Partners (BSP), which included intergration and support services.
- Champion and liason for the Enterprise Change Management (CM) Governing Board and key contributor in the development of CM policies and procedures .
- Directed the training of the 100+ person department on CM processes and policies.
- Oversaw the review and approval process for all changes to production, ensuring documentation and implementation details met established standards.
- Supervised the technology efforts for each BSP rolled under our support umbrella.
- Supervised the support of the banks Bluecoat Web Proxy infrastructure and F5 BigIP Load Balancing infrastructure.
Systems Network Manager
NewSof Group, Seattle, WA
|May 2002 – July 2003|
- Directed technology and infrastructure initiatives in providing web development services for non-profit organizations
- Architected, budgeted, implemented, and managed the hosting platform environment.
- Oversaw vendor relationships for equipment and outsourcing technical support for a 24×7 environment.
- Maintained source code repository in CVS and architected continued integration environment for software builds.
Lead Systems Engineer
InfoSpace, Bellevue, WA
|July 2000 – October 2001|
- Supervised a team of 7 systems engineers responsible for supporting a suite of eCommerce and metasearch sites: Metacrawler, Dogpile, PlaySite, Stocksite, SiliconInvestor, and HyperMart.
- Directed the successful operation of Authorize.net and Prio Merchant payment gateway systems/services and data processing warehouse, for AMEX, Visa, Discover, and MasterCard in our service-level driven, multi-platform, and geographically separated production environments consisting of 700 servers.
- Executed service improvement initiatives by collaborating with business and developments groups in analyzing availability and usability of our portal services.
- Oversaw relations between business and customer technical needs
- Advised on production improvement processes, and implementing/enforcing resource consumption policies for shared ecommerce services.